Thursday, April 16, 2009

Pity and Fear


These [pity and fear] are the two most universally relatable* emotions, which is why many of Shakespeare's comedies failed in the movies, i.e. Paul Czinner's As You Like It. Not only do earlier films have shitty sound, but isms such as racism, sexism, domesticabuseism are subjects in Shakespeare's comedies. Those subjects, for a great portion of modern viewers, are no longer considered humorous. So... today's movie-goer fails to relate to Shakespearean comedy.

Jessica Rabbit introduced to me today the term The Boomerang Generation. I'll copy and paste what the Wiki article says about this generation:

Boomerang Generation is one of several terms applied to the current generation of young adults in Western culture, born approximately between 1975 and 1986.[citation needed] They are so named for the frequency with which they choose to cohabitate with their parents after a brief period of living alone - thus boomeranging back to their place of origin. This cohabitation can take many forms, ranging from situations that mirror the high dependency of pre-adulthood to highly independent, separate-household arrangements. The term can also be used to indicate only those members of this age-set that actually do return home, not the whole generation.

As I was contemplating the relatability of tragedies, comedies, and histories to my generation, I thought about my two friends and how the universality of emotions fits right in with the Boomerang Theory:

I used to Pity my older friend (four years older) for coming back home after he graduated with an important degree from a good university, and now I just Fear that I will end up doing the same.

My younger friend (three years younger) is ending her freshman year of college this semester, and I can't relate at all to her all-smiles, excited-to-come-home-for-the-summer attitude. I've totally forgotten those feelings...


So there. It's all true.

0 comments: