Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Split Infinitive


Keren was talking to her friend online, and that friend--we'll call him/her Aubrey--asked Keren about a split infinitive.

I said. "A wha wha wha infinitive?"

Keren said, "A Split Infinitive! Aubrey wants to know. Isn't it so weird that Aubrey and I are such good friends and you still haven't met him/her!?"

I said, "Naw, it's not that weird."

Then the omniscient narrator of our lives--we'll call him/her Pat--wanted to add to the narrative and said, "And then quite simultaneously the two girls each in their own head thought about how a lot of her friends do not know grammar. Leah thought that Keren should look up the definition of a split infinitive at the same time that Keren said to her, 'I'm going to look it up.'"

That is what happened according to Pat, and I believe Pat because he is a creation of my and our minds. What?

Split Infinitive: or cleft infinitive is an English language grammatical construction in which a word or phrase, usually an adverb or other adverbial, comes between the marker to and the bare infinitive (uninflected) form of a verb. For example: To boldly go where no man has gone before.

In the Peter Pan movie from 2003, Captain Hook exclaims, "Split my infinitives!"

It's kind of cool, right?

xoxo,

Leah

2 comments:

Sonja said...

I'm going to excitedly leave a comment about how you girls try to craftily improve your readers' English! Well done, ducks.

Sasha said...

I learned something newww!!!

And here is where I demand a new blog entry. kthx. This is the only source of world news I have. You've gotta keep the masses updated!